Saturday, August 9, 2014

Grandma's Banana Bread

Growing up, I always remember my grandmother baking. She made some amazing desserts, especially the homemade authentic Italian ones! But now that she's older, she has difficulty baking and spending too much time in the kitchen. She's been saving her ripe bananas in the freezer for me, knowing that when I make banana bread, I'll use her bananas and share some bread too!

Although this isn't her recipe, it is one she approves of. (At least, she eats the entire loaf that I bake for her, which I assume means that she likes it!) We like it too, since it doesn't usually last long in our house!

I like to double the recipe: I bake a large chocolate chip loaf for us and share the 3 smaller ones with my family!

Banana BreadMakes 1 large loaf (9x5x3") or 3 small loaves (5 3/4x3 1/4")
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large ones)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I like to use 1/2 cup nonsweetened applesauce and 1/4 cup oil)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
nonstick cooking spray
optional: chocolate chips

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
-Whisk together mashed bananas, sugar, eggs and oil in mixer until smooth, about 1 minute.
-Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until combined (1 minute). Scrape sides or bowl and mix once more (10 seconds).
-Spray pans with nonstick cooking spray, then lightly coat with flour (to absorb any globs in the corners). Pour batter into pans and smooth tops.
-Bake 60-70 minutes for large pan, or 40-50 for small pans. Bake until the tester/toothpick come clean out of the center.
-Cool in the pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Use a knife to remove bread from sides of pan, then let the bread cool directly on the wire rack.

Now grab yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment